Welcome to our website !

Restaurant Review: Cafe Joie

By 8:29 PM , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Today I'll be doing a quick review on a small little cafe called Cafe Joie located in South Burnaby. My boyfriend found this place while browsing Instagram and they have the most delicious looking waffles I have ever seen! So we decided to go sometime this week and let me tell you the experience was 100 times better than the website.


Cafe Joie is not too far from the Metrotown SkyTrain station. I believe if you walk through Metropolis it's only a 10 minute walk. The cafe is located just off of Kingsway and Sussex. When you first walk in it has a very modern feel to it. The walls are painted an off white I believe, and they have unique lighting. Lots of little touches to the restaurant. I didn't take any pictures of it but there's plenty on the website that you can view.

It was so hard to choose what to eat. I decided to get the green tea waffles and my boyfriend got a roast beef panini and an iced coffee. We shared the rainbow cake.
The iced coffee was good. The coffee wasn't strong and it wasn't watered down, which I find is common with independent coffee shops like this. It had just the right amount of flavour with it not being too bitter or too sweet. I'm not a coffee drinker and I even liked it, so I would order myself one.

Next was the roast beef panini. Not sure what was in it as I didn't order it or what kind of salad it was ahah, but was it ever DELICIOUS!!! The bread was crisp, the meat and cheese was toasty warm so the cheese just melted in your mouth. I didn't get the chance to try the salad but the dressing was really good. I would definitely get this again, it was amazing!







The waffle was the most amazing waffle I have ever seen. I am a very big breakfast eater, so pancakes and waffles are my absolute favourite way to start the day. The waffle looks bigger than it does on the plate. It had a green tea and vanilla macroon on top (which was OMG AMAZING!), green tea ice cream, whipped cream, kiwi, strawberries, almonds, drizzled with green tea sauce, powdered with sugar and matcha. It was seriously the best thing ever. The waffle was so warm, that pairing it with the ice cream was absolutely the best thing that they have done. It was filling too! I would've ordered another one but I was pretty full after that one, plus I still had cake to devour. I highly recommend getting the green tea waffle!!!!


The rainbow cake was visually appealing, but wasn't much. The lemon frosting was delicious. I felt like it needed something else, some kind of other flavour to make it really POP but I'm not sure what it is.
Other than that, it has the visual wow factor but the taste was okay. Would have again though.













Pros
  • Visually pleasing dishes
  • Delicious - nothing was tasteless or bland
  • Variety of selections to choose from even though the menu itself is quite small
  • Does not need syrup to make these waffles amazing (which I'm into lately because we haven't had maple syrup in the house lately)
  • Lots of desserts including cake in a jar, macroons, cakes, waffles, ice cream... I believe some other things
  • Close to the mall
  • Great atmosphere
Cons
  • When you walk in, the menu is quite small. I have glasses and even I had a hard time reading it
  • A little expensive. I think this was almost around $30.00 for the both of us, which isn't bad but this is a cafe. My waffle alone was $10.00. They just opened up though, so maybe their prices will go down eventually.
  • Their website is horrible. They have a link to their 'menu' but it's just pictures and not even half of what they have in the cafe itself. No prices on it either. You just have to go in and trust that you're going to have a great experience (and you will).
Overall, my experience blew me out of the water. Definitely a place to check out if you're ever in the Metrotown area.

9/10 would come again.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.